Plan a meaningful funeral for those you leave behind
This is an entirely new kind of service, unlike anything else that exists. It's a combination of knowledge of funerals, planning and creativity, that’s designed to help you create a meaningful and truly personalised funeral for those you leave behind.
Everything we do is based on the philosophy that funerals are mostly for the living, and should be as stress free as possible for those left behind, whilst providing enough freedom for them to do what they need to do in order to process their grief.
We'll work with you on an individual basis to plan your funeral and then present it back to you for safekeeping or sharing.
"I came across my own ‘angel of death’ very recently. Louise Winter is the owner of Poetic Endings, a bespoke funeral planning service designed to make people think creatively about the style of ceremony they’d like.
It’s a long and thoughtful process – taking about three-and-a-half hours – and it’s peppered with tears and laughter.
I was intrigued and thrilled that I could create my dream funeral with someone so artistic, progressive and knowledgeable (Winter has clocked up experience working with funeral directors, is a trained a celebrant, and hosts Death Cafes – where people come together to chat all matters deathly, over a cuppa)."
Suzanne Bearne, The Telegraph
How does it work?
Step 1 - Get in touch
Phone, email or even Whatsapp, I can answer any questions you might have about how it works.
Step 2 - How do you want to say goodbye?
Once you've decided you'd like to plan your funeral, you'll receive a set of questions via email. These questions are designed to get you thinking about the kind of funeral you'd like to have, and the best way to say goodbye to those you leave behind.
"The questions weren't at all morbid or depressing. They really made me think about who I am and how my family might want to say goodbye to me."
Step 3 - Let's meet
After you've taken some time to answer the questions, you'll meet with me to work out the details of your funeral. Maybe you already have a clear idea of what you'd like, maybe you don't - that's the purpose of the session.
I can answer any questions you have about both funerals and funeral directors truthfully and transparently. If you want to know where your body goes, what happens during embalming or what happens when the crematorium curtain closes, I can advise. You’ll be free to make a decision about your funeral with the facts at your disposal.
I can talk to you about the options you have, including options you may not know exist! For example, modern funeral directors, alternatives to coffins, the option to be cared for at home, natural burial grounds and different venues for the funeral.
I'm passionate about creating funerals that are relevant to the times in which we live. I can take your ideas and turn them into a meaningful funeral that serves its true purpose - to help your loved ones acknowledge and accept your death.
- The sort of funeral director you’d like to use, if at all.
- How your body should be cared for - would you like to be embalmed? Would you like your loved ones to spend time with you? Would you like to be cared for at home?
- Cremation, burial, natural burial, scattering of ashes, tree pods and other options.
- How involved you'd like your family to be.
- Where you’d like your funeral to be held (not necessarily at a church or a crematorium).
- The details that will make your funeral uniquely yours.
- Options for paying for your funeral in advance.
At the end of this creative exploration, you'll have designed your funeral!
Step 4 - Receive your funeral package, fully designed
I will put together a presentation package of your funeral. It will be clearly laid out with every detail so if the inevitable was to happen tomorrow, your family and friends will be able to make your wishes a reality.
What you do with your completed funeral plan is entirely your choice. You could...
- Share it with your family and friends to open up a conversation about what will happen after you've gone. It's a great icebreaker.
- Give it to your solicitor to be kept with your will.
- Keep it in a safe place with other important documents.
- Use it as a milestone of where you are in your life right now, revisiting it every few years.
How much does it cost?
£300 for the full service, including the complete funeral plan.